ABC: Back In The Game cancelled, but what about Super Fun Night?
By Daniel Redford on November 3, 2013
Other ABC Renewal and Cancellation news:
- ABC: Suburgatory and The Goldbergs are now likely renewals (April 20, 2014)
- ABC: Resurrection likely renewed; Nashville back up to Toss Up (April 13, 2014)
A decision needs to be made fairly soon about the fate of freshman shows: will they be axed or will they get a full season? ABC has decided on the fate of its freshman comedies this Friday. For the freshman dramas, the network has only made the obvious decisions of picking up Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a full season and putting out of its misery.
Interestingly, ABC decided to cancel Back In, while that was the show that has been the most steady of the four new shows. and , the two lowest rating freshman comedies, did however get a full season. On the other hand, the highest rating of the four, , only got four extra episodes. That is basically ABC telling us that they have no idea what to do with the show, and are therefore postponing the deadline.
While ABC awarded Super Fun Night the coveted post-timeslot, it has been torn down critically and has been dropping in the ratings ever since the premiere. Nevertheless it averages a lot higher than the other freshman comedies, so it seems only fair that the network wants to wait and see how things play out for Super Fun Night. Add the fact that ABC has only one new Midseason comedy waiting to take over ( ), and with Back In The Game cancelled, I could see Super Fun Night getting a full season to fill up the schedule after all.
Remaining freshman dramas four new dramas waiting to premiere in Midseason, there is no reason for the network to keep either of these shows around for a full season. Therefore, they are Certain Cancellations.and have ratings around a 1.0, and a cancellation is inevitable. Since ABC still has
|Show||Status / Prediction|
|The Goldbergs||Full-Season Pick-Up|
|Trophy Wife||Full-Season Pick-Up|
|Modern Family||Certain Renewal|
|Super Fun Night||Toss Up|
|Once Upon a Time in Wonderland||Certain Cancellation|
|Back in the Game||Cancelled|
This week’s TV Watch U.S. predictions for the other networks:
- CBS: Hostages is a Certain Cancellation, The Millers and The Crazy Ones move towards the danger zone
- NBC: Are Grimm and Dracula in danger after their steep drop?
- FOX: New Girl is a Certain Renewal, while The Mindy Project will likely be cancelled
- The CW: The Carrie Diaries is likely to be cancelled, Reign and The Tomorow People are also in danger